Peñiscola is located on the Costa del Azahar 50 minutes from Castellon and 90 minutes from Valencia.
Peñíscola is a breathtaking Valencian town located in the province of Castellon. In 2013, Peñíscola was named online as one of the most beautiful villages in Spain. This Spanish association was set up to promote and preserve the cultural and rural heritage that make up the country.
Peñíscola is noted for its rich culture, gastronomy, its festivities and its characteristic flora and fauna. Peñiscola is also part of the Natural Park of Sierra de Irta.
Attractions in Peñíscola
Although there are a great deal of cultural and environmental attractions to offer, here are some of the most important places of interest in Peñiscola. Discover these sites in Peñíscola:
- Castillo Palacio de Peñíscola/ Castillo del Papa Luna is perched on a rock of 64 meters high and provides an incredible view. In 1411 Pope Benedict XIII (Papa Luna) made it his papal residence. This castle is a must see.
- El Faro: A lighthouse built in 1892 and is one of the most emblematic places to visit in Peñiscola.
- Casa de las Conchas: one of the most extraordinary houses in the historical center of Peñíscola. The reflective blue and walls covered in seashells predominate this lovely home. Do not hesitate to take a ‘selfie’ on the doorstep.
- La Ermita de la Virgen de la Ermitana: A Baroque building where you can find the Virgin of Ermitana, the patron of the city.
- Museo del Mar: In the Maritime Museum you can discover the marine fauna, history, and archeology of Peñíscola.
- Parque Natural de la Sierra de Irta: The Sierra de Irta was declared a natural park by the Valencian government on July 16, 2002. The flora and fauna of this park will leave you speechless.
Getting to Peñíscola
Peñiscola is located on the Costa del Azahar, 50 minutes from Castellon and 90 minutes from Valencia. How to get to Peñíscola:
- By Car: Take the AP7, A7 (Mediterranean Motorway) or the N340 and exit 43. From the Mediterranean highway take the A7, followed by the CV10 to CV13 and exit Alcala de Xivert/Alcossebre. Merge onto the N340 and take the CV141 towards Peñíscola.
- By Train: Take the train to Benicarlo in Valencia, which is only 7 kilometers away from Peñiscola.
- By Bus: Various bus companies offer different trips from Valencia to Peñiscola.
Where to Stay in Peñíscola
Although Peñíscola is the perfect day trip away from Valencia, you can easily extend your stay by a couple days to fully enjoy this Mediterranean town. Here we have listed different places to spend the weekend at. Discover where to stay in Peñíscola:
- Hotel Muva Beach is on the beachfront opposite the ramparts of the Castillo de Peñíscola (Peñiscola Castle). It offers fabulous views from its restaurant, which results in exquisite dining. This location cannot be beaten because of the surrounding of the old town. The hotel has a total of 10 rooms, 8 which look out on the sea. Muva Beach Hotel is located at Porteta 5, Peñiscola. For more information call 964 84 51 62.
- Pensión Chiki: for those who want to get away from the coastal resorts and large hotels, this is the place for you. It is a hotel/restaurant that is amazingly located next to Peñíscola Castle and is only 450 meters from the Playa de las Viudas. The restaurant offers typical Mediterranean cuisine that satisfies the tastebuds. The service is attentive and friendly. If you want more information call 964 480 284.
Where to Eat in Peñíscola
If you are someone who loves a good meal with good service for an affordable price, here are a few restaurant suggestions that are a must in Peñíscola. Where to eat in Peñíscola:
- Sebastian en Perla Blanca: restaurant critics have highlighted the excellent presentation of the dishes, quality, panoramic views of the restaurant and even noted its good price. The staff at Perla Blanca offer a warm and welcoming experience with a selection of international dishes made with local and seasonal products. Reservations are recommended due to its high demand, you can call to reserve a table at 964 48 91 88.
- Restaurante Las Vegas in Peñíscola: a Mediterranean restaurant specialized in paella and other rice dishes. The tapas and seafood have also been popular among tourists, and are dishes worth trying. This quality restaurant is located at Avenida Papa Luna 16, Peñiscola. For more information or reservations please call 680 106 469.
Discover Peñíscola, a charming town in Valencia!